Tuesday, January 21, 2014
Sam Sparrow - Super Reader
I finally caught up with Sam Sparrow, a fourth grader in Mrs. McKinney's class. By Christmas, he had read and tested over 2,000,000 words. I wanted the real scope, honest answers, about kids who read. Here is the interview and insightful answers from a delightful young man who loves to read.
When did you learn to read? "Kindergarten. But I really started reading this year in 4th grade.
What got you hooked on reading? "The Warrior series. It is in-depth, fantasy, cats and clans, awesome names. I read more than play video games."
Why are books better than movies? "In movies, you can only see and hear. Movies cannot transmit the feeling of the characters."
What advice do you have for reluctant readers? "I recommend the Artemis Fowl series full of action and fantasy for kids who don't read. Boys who do not read should read the Warrior series, especially Into the Wild."
Tell me Sam, do readers have a life? "I don't just read, I game. I will go into computers in college. I have a you.tube channel."
What is your favorite place to read? "My room - on the bed. It is annoying when my brother blares his music in the next room."
What advice do you have for teachers, librarians, and parents? "Encourage your kids to read. When adults read aloud, you get it the way the adult wants you to get it, but not the way you want to get it."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment